11 October 2010

Looking Way Back: My first talk with Tim Gunn

When I first spoke to Tim Gunn, Chief Creative Officer of Liz Claiborne, Inc. and mentor on Project Runway, I was 15. I had learned that he was to be the main speaker of the first annual All Access Fashion. I wanted to interview him for my company, MSGFT. MSGFT was still small and was not very well know. But with my philosophy of saying "all they can do is say no," I contact the press contact, Leah Salak, and she said YES! I was so excited and I could not wait!

The day finally arrived. I raced home from school to except his phone call at 3:00pm est. This is what the phone came up with:

(His number is, of course, edited out)
This is a weird office phone, but I always find myself walking around while speaking to people, so wireless works best for me.

I answered the phone and said, "Ryan Charchian." And, I still remember, he said, "I Ryan, its Tim Gunn!" And just from the way he said it I knew it would be a great interview. It was! We spoke for a good half an hour before we hung up. I told him I would meet up with him at All Access later in the week. That time came...


It was great and it was an honor! Tim had me down as his friend for a day and I was able to follow him everywhere and watch him in action. After a fashion show, during which he gave style advice, he went upstairs where guests of All Access could get a photo with him. Here is mine. There was also a professional one taken, but I can't find it on my computer.

From here, I have kept in touch lightly. Our second, in-person, encounter was at the Renwick Gallery for the National Design Awards keynote speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment